Anderson Strathern understand that putting a property on the market can be a stressful time for any seller. We are here to assist in every possible way and here are some useful hints and tips for preparing your property when going to market.
- De-clutter and remove personal belongings - it’s easier for a prospective purchaser to visualise their own belongings in a clean and tidy space. Make sure shampoo bottles are tidied away in the bathroom and that kitchen worktops are clear of clutter.
- Maintenance - attend to the little jobs that you’ve been putting off i.e tidying up the garden, replacing light bulbs, cleaning the windows, touching up paint work and re-grouting tiles.
- Add soft furnishings - once you’ve de-cluttered, add some soft furnishings including throws, rugs and candles to add some colour to the room. Place fresh flowers around the house as well when you are having your photographs taken and when viewers attend to give a homely feel.
- Tidy everywhere - don’t just tidy areas that are noticeable when you first enter a room. Prospective purchasers will want to look in the garage, attic and cupboards so ensure these spaces are also tidy and clear of clutter.
- Remove pet bowls or litter trays - this is essential for when the photographs are being taken but it’s also good to do when viewers attend. You may also wish to have someone take the pet out of the house during viewings to ensure minimal disruption.
- Make sure you have a working door bell - it sounds like a small point to make but it will cause a huge inconvenience to viewers if they can’t get access to the property.
- Provide information to your agent about factoring charges or any shared maintenance agreements that are in place. This is useful information to pass on to a prospective purchaser.
- Provide your estate agent with a set of keys if they will be assisting with viewings.
- If you are selling a property that is not your permanent residence, check the insurance policy regarding heating during the winter months or weekly checks to ensure compliance with your policy.
Anderson Strathern work with a number of trades people who can attend to a variety of jobs on your behalf. Please let us know if you require a recommendation or assistance in arranging trades people.